Qualifications for apprenticeship:
Every apprenticeship program is different, check with your local union.
An applicant for the Boilermakers Apprenticeship Program must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be in good health and physically able to do the job.
- Be able to read, write and speak English well.
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED.
Boilermaker Apprentice Job Duties:
Typical tasks performed by a field construction boilermaker apprentice include:
1. Loading and unloading materials.
2. Rigging materials for movement.
3. Directing crane operators
4. Assembling/disassembling scaffolds and work platforms.
5. Changing crane booms
6. Inspecting and caring for rigging accessories and equipment.
7. Burning and gouging.
8. Removing and replacing pressured and non-pressure components.
9. Interpreting blueprints.
10. Laying out components.
11. Erecting support steel beams, columns, high/low pressure components.
12. Using various welding equipment and process.
13. Aligning and fitting components.
Information obtained from: www.bnap.com