Qualifications for apprenticeship
Every apprenticeship program is different, check with your local union.
An applicant for the Boilermakers Apprenticeship Program must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be in good health and physically able to do the job.
- Be able to read, write and speak English well.
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED.
Boilermaker Apprentice Job Duties:
Typical tasks performed by a field construction boilermaker apprentice include:
- Loading and unloading materials.
- Rigging materials for movement.
- Directing crane operators
- Assembling/disassembling scaffolds and work platforms.
- Changing crane booms
- Inspecting and caring for rigging accessories and equipment.
- Burning and gouging.
- Removing and replacing pressured and non-pressure components.
- Interpreting blueprints.
- Laying out components.
- Erecting support steel beams, columns, high/low pressure components.
- Using various welding equipment and process.
- Aligning and fitting components.
Information obtained from: www.bnap.com