International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
Electricians install, connect, test, and maintain electrical systems for a variety of purposes; they also may install and maintain the electronic controls for machines in business and industry. Electricians generally specialize in construction or maintenance work, although a growing number do both. Electricians specializing in construction work primarily install wiring systems into new homes, businesses, and factories, but they also rewire or upgrade existing electrical systems as needed. Electricians also work with fiber optics and photovoltaic systems.
- Outside Lineman: installs the distribution and transmission lines that move power from power plants to a factory, a business, or a home.
- Inside Wireman: installs the power, lighting, controls, and other electrical equipment in residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
- Voice/Data/Video (VDV) Installer Technicians: install circuits and equipment for telephones, computer networks, and other low voltage systems.
- Residential Wireman: install electrical systems in homes.
- Qualifications for apprenticeship Every apprenticeship program is different, check with your local union.
- About the apprenticeship Every apprenticeship is different. Contact your local union.
- Meet some electrical workers. See a short video about 2 women who work in the trade and why they love their work.