International Union of Elevator Constructors
Elevator constructors and mechanics build, maintain, repair, and modernize elevators, escalators, dumbwaiters, stage lifts, moving walks, wheelchair lifts and other vertical transportation equipment. They must have a thorough knowledge of electronics, electricity, and hydraulics.
Essential Job Functions for Apprentice:
- Manually loads, unloads and moves materials, equipment and tools from vehicles to work areas. Requires lifting parts weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Manually cleans elevator car tops, machine rooms, pits, rails and hoistways within non-controlled climate field setting.
- Manually paints machine rooms and pit.
- Uses periods of high concentration and knowledge of elevator systems to assist mechanic in electrical and mechanical installation, repair or service operations. Requires following written or oral directions of mechanic and/or field superintendent. Requires color perception to distinguish color-coded wiring components.
- Maintains elevator lighting fixtures.
- Visually and audibly monitors equipment operation to determine faulty functioning. Requires ability to withstand heights and cramped working conditions.